The Denzel Washington thriller “The Equalizer” knocked “The Maze Runner” out of the top spot at the box office this weekend. “The Equalizer”, which has Washington playing an agent who comes out of retirement to save a girl from the Russian mob actually did very well, grossing $35 million. “The Maze Runner” followed in second with $17.5 million.
“The Boxtrolls”, this weekend’s other new movie, was close behind in third with $17.5 million. That doesn’t sound like a lot for this stop-motion animated feature from Laika, but it actually had the highest opening weekend of any Laika movie since 2005’s “Corpse Bride”. The film’s dark story and quirky humor made it probably not the first choice for many families taking their kids to the movies.
Meanwhile, the dramedy “The Skeleton Twins”, starring Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader, expanded to more theaters this weekend, boosting that movie into eleventh with $1.2 million.
The complete list of the top 12 movies at the box office this weekend is below. Click the links to read my full review of each film.
1. “The Equalizer”: $35 million
2. “The Maze Runner”: $17.5 million
3. “The Boxtrolls”: $17.2 million
4. “This is Where I Leave You”: $7.01 million
5. “Dolphin Tale 2”: $4.8 million
6. “No Good Deed”: $4.6 million
7. “A Walk Among the Tombstones”: $4.2 million
8. “Guardians of the Galaxy”: $3.7 million
9. “Let’s Be Cops”: $1.5 million
10. “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”: $1.4 million
11. “The Skeleton Twins”: $1.2 million
12. “The Drop”: $1.05 million
Check out showtimes for these movies and more at the following St. Louis-area theaters.
- Wehrenberg Theatres
- AMC Theatres
- Regal Movie Theatres
- Galleria 6
- Chase Park Plaza
- Granite City
- Moolah Theatre
- Hi-Pointe Theatre
- St. Andrews Cinema
- Plaza Frontenac Cinema
- Tivoli Theatre
For more info, visit Box Office Mojo, or feel free to email me. For updates on my latest articles, click the subscribe button at the top of this page. You can also follow me on the following websites: