“The Maze Runner” managed to pull off a decent opening this weekend, considering that it was cursed with a September release and hasn’t received as much exposure as other young adult dystopian franchises, like, say, the very similar “Divergent”. The film, which is based on a book of the same name, follows a group of trapped teens whose only way out of their prison is through a deadly, complex maze. “The Maze Runner” was the weekend’s number one movie by a long shot with $32.5 million.
“A Walk Among the Tombstones”, the latest Liam Neeson-helmed thriller, followed in second with $13.1 million. The R-rated movie is a lot darker than Neeson’s typical fare, and that on top of mixed critical reviews likely resulted in it not grossing as much as his movies usually do. It was followed by the weekend’s other new wide release, the ensemble comedy “This is Where I Leave You”, which made $11.8 million. Last weekend’s number one movie, the thriller “No Good Deed”, dropped to fourth with $10.2 million.
The complete list of the top 12 movies at the box office this weekend is below. Click the links to read my full review of each film.
1. “The Maze Runner”: $32.5 million
2. “A Walk Among the Tombstones”: $13.1 million
3. “This is Where I Leave You”: $11.8 million
4. “No Good Deed”: $10.2 million
5. “Dolphin Tale 2”: $9 million
6. “Guardians of the Galaxy”: $5.1 million
7. “Let’s Be Cops”: $2.67 million
8. “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”: $2.65 million
9. “The Drop”: $2.05 million
10. “If I Stay”: $1.8 million
11. “The Hundred-Foot Journey”: $1.1 million
12. “When the Game Stands Tall”: $1.05 million
Check out showtimes for these movies and more at the following St. Louis-area theaters.
- Wehrenberg Theatres
- AMC Theatres
- Regal Movie Theatres
- Galleria 6
- Chase Park Plaza
- Granite City
- Moolah Theatre
- Hi-Pointe Theatre
- St. Andrews Cinema
- Plaza Frontenac Cinema
- Tivoli Theatre
For more info, visit Box Office Mojo, or feel free to email me. For updates on my latest articles, click the subscribe button at the top of this page. You can also follow me on the following websites: