If nothing else, the world of antiques & collectibles is a never ending roller coaster of trends. What was hot last year, may be stuffed in box lots this year and sold at auction for a fraction of it’s previous price point.
Let’s take a look at what’s hot and what’s not in my corner of the market right now as I write this.
- US Coins – Graded, un-graded, silver, pennies, you name it, I cannot seem to keep any kind of old US coins on my shelf for more than a week or so.
- Jewelry – Jewelry has as far as I can remember, always been a great seller. But now especially, gold, silver and good name costume jewelry items are red hot!
- Mid-Centruy modern furniture. It virtually taken the place of Victorian furniture in my area.
- Small stands and tables of almost any kind. They are a staple of my business, when I can find them!
- Collector plates – The downward spiral started with the infamous Franklin Mint and Knowles China saturation of “limited edition” plates. But the descending trend has continued to take even the better and older plates with it. I can’t get much for Wedgwood or Limoges plates, nor any others these days!
- Oversized furniture – If it’s a large hutch, buffet, china closet, desk etc. I just can’t sell it. And forget about dining room sets!
- Oriental carpets – While good hand made carpets are still selling. They are not bringing anywhere near what they used to.
Well, thats the news on trends for now here in Gloucester, MA. What’s trending in YOUR area? I’d love to hear what you have to say in the comments section.