The Entertainment Software Association have released their annual ‘Essential Facts
About the Computer and Video Game Industry’ report for 2014, and it’s packed with vital stats about the future of gaming. The report covers how, when and why people in the US come to play video games online, and there are some great statistics which show that the presence of women in the gaming world is growing ever-faster.
The report found that:
– Women over the age of 18 represent a much higher portion of the gaming population (36%) than teenage boys (who make up 17% overall)
– The number of female gamers over the age of 50 has increased by 32% since 2012
– Adult female gamers have been gaming for an average of 13 years
– Men are just as likely as women to buy a video game
Leading online games site MyRealGames has been a long-time provider of games appealing to both men and women, and the news that women are just as involved in the gaming community is no surprise to the team.
Nikolai Veselov, of MyRealGames, says, “We’re not at all surprised that female gamers now represent an almost equal portion of the gaming community – we’ve seen thousands of women flock to the site over the last few years, equally as interested in blowing up zombies and getting involved in car chases as their male counterparts. The world of video gaming is no longer a man’s world, and at MyRealGames we hope to continue the trend of offering a multitude of free download games and online titles that appeal to men and women equally.”
MyRealGames offers a plethora of games that appeal to all genders and all age ranges, including:
– Super Mario Bros, a popular platform classic that is loved by all
– Jewel Quest, for those who want to relax with a mind-bending puzzle game
– Spy Car, a fast-paced action thriller that appeals to gamers young and old
– Goodgame Empire, a tactical battle game with fans in both genders
– Agatha Christie: 4:50 from Paddington, where players can assume the role of the unforgettable Miss Marple and solve a gripping mystery
Mr Veselov adds, “With women now equally as likely to buy a video game as men, it’s crucial for us all in the gaming industry to ensure we aren’t alienating the people that make up almost 50% of the gaming demographics. At MyRealGames, there’s no question that women can be equally as involved in planning their wedding (with Dream Day Wedding) as they are in taking down the undead (with Zombie Shooter 2).”